If you’re considering abortion or have already had one, it’s essential to know the warning signs of a post-abortion infection.
Read on to learn more about how to know if you’re experiencing a post-abortion complication like infection. Or, if you want to talk to someone about abortion or your other pregnancy options, contact Attleboro Women’s Health Center to connect with our medical staff.
What Are the Risks?
Infection is just one of the many risks you might experience after an abortion. However, it’s critical to know the other risks that might happen after abortion because signs of infection can overlap with other post-abortion complications.
After a medical abortion (also known as the “abortion pill”), other risks include:
- Incomplete abortion, which may need to be followed by surgical abortion
- An ongoing pregnancy if the procedure doesn’t work
- Heavy and prolonged bleeding
- Digestive system discomfort
After a surgical abortion, other risks include:
- Uterine perforation (this happens when one of the surgical instruments pokes a hole in your uterus)
- Uterine scarring
- Cervical damage
How Can Infection Happen?
Abortion terminates a pregnancy and removes it from your uterus. However, sometimes, the pregnancy isn’t entirely removed from your uterus (this is known as an incomplete abortion).
When parts of the pregnancy remain in your uterus after an abortion, this can quickly lead to an infection.
What Are the Warning Signs of Infection?
Warning signs that you may be experiencing an infection after abortion include:
- Heavy bleeding — soaking two or more pads an hour for two hours
- Severe abdominal or back pain
- Fever lasting more than 24 hours
- Foul-smelling vaginal discharge
However, these symptoms can also indicate other post-abortion complications, which is why it’s critical to seek medical care after an abortion.
You’re Not Alone
At Attleboro Women’s Health Center, we care about your reproductive health. Whether you’re facing an unexpected pregnancy and considering your pregnancy options or have already had an abortion, we’re here for you.
Contact us today to schedule a free, confidential appointment with our Care Team. Same-day appointments may be available.